December marks a festive month of Santa Claus at the malls, listening to my favorite Christmas music on the daily, and cute cozy sweaters (along with fashionable sweatshirts) at work. It also means sales aplenty, buying lots of hallmark cards, and presents galore! Let’s be honest, December is pretty great. And no matter how much I complain about the freezing (at times bitter) cold weather in the Chi, at the same time, I kinda don’t mind it. I mean, just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean you have to stop living your life! December is the month to recognize the fact that even though we live in a winter wonderland, life doesn’t need to be on hold until the next warm day arrives.
Case in point: start with my…
- Two words turned into one: ZooLights. AKA a huge display of gorgeous lights at Lincoln Park Zoo. I’ve lived in Chicago all my life and I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve never been to ZooLights. I mean, I have friends who have gotten engaged there (it’s sooo picturesque) and I’ve only heard the most positive things. Activities offered include nightly ice-carving shows, warmed spiced wine, carousal rides, amongst lots of other fun, (free) stuff :)
- One of my absolute FAVORITE holiday movies is currently on Broadway in Chicago and I want to go see it. I am referring to none other than my favorite Buddy: ELF!!!!!! Elf – The Musical is playing at The Cadillac Palace only until December 15th. Better hurry up and get your tickets fast!!
- Bundle up and head to the Christkindlmarket! I never knew this existed until last year and if you go, trust me when I tell you that you’re definitely in for a treat! You’ll find tons of German vendors at your fingertips with anything from little trinkets to look at to carolers singing a pretty tune. German food and drink is obviously offered too. Fun!
- I am so doing this next must-do… The (gorgeous) Langham Hotel, which opened up downtown on July 10th, offers a traditional English afternoon tea everyday from 3-6. Seatings take place in the stunning Pavilion Lounge but this month, they’re putting a spin on it by calling it “Wonderland Afternoon Tea” – at $50 a person, it makes for a luxurious afternoon!
- I think it’s that time of year to get cozy with a new book. Ever since I read about it on laurenconrad.com, I’ve been dying to read Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close. From what I’ve researched about it, here’s a quick synopsis: 3 girls. All their friends are getting married. They partake in the festivities but have their own lives to deal with. Humorous yet frustrating yet exciting. Can’t wait to delve into the pages ASAP!
There you have it… Happy December!! It’s obviously going to be a pretty bad-ass month.
Will you be partaking in any of these must-dos?
Let me know in the comments section below!!