The Honest Company Saved Me!

February 12, 2014 in I Adore Mom Life, I Adore What I Love

The Honest Company Saved Me!

February 12, 2014 in I Adore Mom Life, I Adore What I Love >/div>
The Honest Company Saved Me - www.iadorewhatilove.com

You probably don’t know this about me but for almost 2 years now, I have struggled with an incredibly irritating itchy scalp.  Just thinking about it makes me go “yuck”.  I would literally be scratching my head 24/7 to try and rid this annoying itch from my life but obviously that only made it worse.

The Honest Company Saved Me - www.iadorewhatilove.com

So what’s a girl to do? Well, first I searched the internet and asked Google the predictable question: what’s the cure for an itchy scalp?

OMG!  You know how people say to never search the web when it comes to medical questions that you might have?  Well, I didn’t believe this was considered to be in that category but the things that came up blew.my.mind.  Anyways, I tried a number of “home remedies” such as:

• I mixed baking soda with olive oil and water, then rubbed it all over my head.  Um, what was I thinking?
  • I spritzed my head with equal parts apple cider vinagar and water, let it sit, then washed it out only to smell like vinegar until I showered next. I’m gagging thinking about it.
  • I combined aloe vera with my shampoo and washed my hair with it in the shower.  Not so bad, but ask me if it worked? Nope.

The truth is, none of these home remedies even remotely worked for me.  I might have temporarily been cured but a few hours would pass and I was singing a different tune.

So then I decided that I was going to ask my hairdresser what to do about my dilemma.  And the next time I had an appointment, that’s exactly what I did.  Do you want to know what she told me?  To only wash my hair a few times a week instead of daily or even every other day. Ummm, okay. Tried it. Didn’t work either.

Yikes.  I was seriously starting to lose hope with my itchy scalp and this problem was truly starting to take over my life. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.  Soon, I began complaining about this nuisance to everyone who would listen (sorry guys!).  I was hoping someone I knew might have the cure.  My brother told me to try that really scary looking T-Gel shampoo from Neutrogena – welp, I bought it and the only thing that happened was that my hair and shower smelled like tar for the next week. Gross.

Okay so you want me to get to the point already, huh? Here it goes: I saw Jessica Alba (my total girl crush, by the way) on my favorite talk show, Ellen, and she was chatting about her line of bath, baby, and home products known as The Honest Company.

The Honest Company Saved Me - www.iadorewhatilove.com

Jessica said a few things that resonated with me… first, that The Honest Company products are not only effective but that they’re also safe for the whole family, eco-friendly, and affordable. She also noted that all the products sold are completely free of harsh and risky chemicals that may affect people with allergies and sensitive skin. And later on in the segment, Ellen brought out a regular woman (as opposed to someone famous) who came there to thank Jessica because she had a horrible skin rash since she was a kid and after using the Honest products, it had completely disappeared in its entirety. WHOA – if these products weren’t calling my name as a last resort for my dry and itchy scalp, I don’t know what was.

So I went online to the company’s website, ordered their shampoo and conditioner (along with a few other essential products because why not?!) and let me tell you, I have never looked back.

I seriously feel like a walking advertisement right now but how can I not share this remarkable story with the world?!!? READ: MY ANNOYING, INCREDIBLY IRRITATED DRY AND ITCHY SCALP IS NO LONGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like, seriously gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you hear me from across the world shouting from the rooftops of happiness? I hope so… because it only took TWO YEARS!

The Honest Company Saved Me - www.iadorewhatilove.com

A few months later, and the worst winter Chicago has ever seen, I am still singing my praises towards The Honest Company.  I’ve even reordered many of my favorite products time and time again.

And with that, my girl crush on Jessica has only deepened… for obvious reasons of course = )

Now tell me, are there any products that have saved you? Please share – I would love to know!

• sara February 12, 2014 at 12:14 pm

I keep hearing such awesome things about the honest company! I didn’t realize, at first, that they sold more than just diapers and wipes — so I will have to check out everything else available.

• Dana Ivy February 12, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Hey Sara! I am totally on the same page as you… originally thought The Honest Co was only baby products. Turns out I was wrong and it’s a good thing because I would still be stressing over my scratching! HA but seriously, I’m really loving all their products – especially the bath stuff :)

Thanks for reading my blog!
      Xo

• Cassie February 12, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Lush Cosmetics has a bar shampoo- I know that is weird- but it totally worked for my dandruff!

• Dana Ivy February 12, 2014 at 9:36 pm

So interesting, Cassie! I will definitely remember that for the future! Thanks for sharing!

• Samantha February 14, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I am OBSESSED with The Honest Company shampoo + conditioner. I always get so many compliments on my hair and it is thanks to those wonderful products. They are the best. Good choice!

• Dana Ivy February 16, 2014 at 9:11 am

The BEST! Makes me so happy to know that you use it too, Samantha! Obsessed is an understatement :)

• Simona February 17, 2014 at 4:28 am

That is great, I have heard a lot about them, but it is nice to read an actual review, I will check them out!
    Simona
    ON/OFF DUTY STYLE

• Dana Ivy February 17, 2014 at 9:53 am

Hey Simona, you should def sign up! And if you use the link above, you’ll get $10 off your first purchase :)

Xo
      Dana

• Cpr October 25, 2014 at 1:48 am

Hello there,I had the same problem and tried all the same remedies from the apple cider vinegar to the neutrogena. What finally worked for me was snake oil from lush. Unfortunately they no longer carry it. I was told it’s still sold online thru lush but can’t find it. :-( I used to use it in combination with the shampoo bar ( actually it’s a round disc) that smells like campfire also from lush. Luckily I haven’t had the scalp problem recently but I’m sure it’s coming. Im also a walking advertisement for the honest company, having used their diaper/wipes bundle, cleaning, laundry, and various baby products. The only thing I’m not s fan of is the lotion because of the smell. I would love for it to smell like the shampoo!

• Weekly Wins // #7 March 18, 2016 at 6:16 am

[…] Body Wash! The title of this #tbf post that’s an absolute MUST READ is called “The Honest Company Saved Me” so if you want to find out more, head on over to that blog post now after you finish […]

• Beautycounter is Badass + A Giveaway April 4, 2016 at 8:16 am

[…] to my life now and I am not crazy about it, by any means, but I am much more conscious about the shampoo and conditioner that I use, the products that I put on my own skin, and food that I put in my mouth. I […]

• Jessica Luxe May 13, 2016 at 1:56 am

That’s amazing. I can’t imagine dealing with an itchy scalp for that long! I’m so glad you found a remedy!

• Dana Ivy May 26, 2016 at 10:35 am

Ugh, a itchy scalp is literally THE WORST! Two years after writing this post and I’m still using their shampoo today! Love it so! Thanks for stopping by the blog, Jessica! Hope you’ll be back to read more!! Xox

• Dana Ivy May 26, 2016 at 10:34 am

Yes!! Totally agree with you on the smell of the lotion. Not a fan either! But now that I have a child, I’m obsessed with their diapers and all their baby products really. Thanks for reading this post and hope you’ll be back to the blog to read more!! Xox

• scm July 20, 2016 at 9:40 am

Exactly which shampoo did you use ?