It’s March, and typically, with March brings spring.
Which is so much better than winter, obviously (hence the title of this post).
Fortunately for us, spring will undoubtedly happen this month (on the 20th to be exact, as it always does) but I’m still skeptical that our definition of this cheery season with the birds chirping and the flowers blooming won’t be synonymous with what actually happens in the coming weeks. Ugh. Now, I have never been the glass half-empty type of girl but I am just so.sick.of.this.weather and as much as I don’t want to talk about this polar vortex that is Chiberia, it’s just so damn hard not to talk about! Because honestly, it’s beginning to truly affect my life. This month though, there are so many awesome things going on that I am just not going to let the unpopular temps put a damper on things… and you shouldn’t either.
Take a look at my:
1. If you’re a sports fan – and went to college – this one is for you: find some friends and participate in an NCAA college basketball pool! I personally partake in one every year because even though I’m actually not the biggest bball fan in the world, it helps when my hubby and friends are watching the games on the weekends or at the bars during a weeknight happy hour and I join in too. Having a team to root for just makes it more exciting and fun! Plus, I love putting together my bracket!!!
2. A few weeks ago, I ran into Chef Carlos from Mexique (right after I wrote my review on his resto, coincidentally) at my local Target and we chatted for a little. He told me all about a benefit that he’s put together called “Top Chefs United” taking place on March 10th at Union League Club of Chicago. If you watched this past season 11 of Top Chef than you’ll probably want to buy your tickets tonight: winner Nicholas Elmi will be there as well as finalists Nina Compton, Shirley Chung, and Louis Maldonado. In addition, contestants Stephanie Cmar (love her!) and Travis Masar will also be joining in on the fun. From what Chef Carlos told me, the chefs will be serving food around the room at stations and the guests will be lining up to try their creations just like it’s done on the show. All proceeds will benefit the building project for La Casa de Dios Children’s Ministry and Wellness Center.
3. Celebrate St. Patty’s Day, but of course!!!!!! Start off watching the Chicago River get dyed green and then head to one of the many neighborhood parades that are happening near you. Also, hit up a few bars while you’re at it and drink up that green beer until they run out =)
4. Start reeeeaaaaaallly working out! Spring Break is right around the corner and I for one, am heading to AZ with my mom, aunt, and high school cousin, Matt! I want to get back into yoga because I love it so much… so this month I plan on making a real effort to grab my mat and head over to core power (groupon actually has a great deal right now on unlimited classes for a month)! My body is craving the stretch and the sweat!
5. Bloomingdale’s is having an event aptly named “Doggies and Denim” and it’s benefiting the Safe Humane Society. Basically, they are putting on a fashion show featuring the latest in denim and pups – killing two birds with one stone and I like it! My friends at Worthee will be there and I am so excited to attend!! For those of you who don’t know, Worthee is a premium dog walking service that provides on-demand service at just a moment’s notice. More details on this awesome company to come in a later post but for the time being, I think you all need to join me at the event! It’s a full night of doggies and denim, people! You don’t want to miss that!
And who knows – maybe we will get the surprise of our lives and start feeling the warmth!
Cross your fingers on that one.
In the meantime, let me know what plans you have this month in the comments section of this post!