Newlywed Marriage Advice from My Married Friends

April 13, 2016 in I Adore What I Love

Newlywed Marriage Advice from My Married Friends

April 13, 2016 in I Adore What I Love >/div>
I Adore What I Love Blog // NEWLYWED MARRIAGE ADVICE FROM MY MARRIED FRIENDS // Featured Image // www.iadorewhatilove.com #iadorewhatilove

Isaiah and I were out of town this past weekend for our first wedding of the wedding season! We have 7 {!!!!!!} more weddings to attend between now and September! To kick the season of love off, I thought it might be fun to ask some of my married friends and family to tell me their best piece of marriage advice for any newlywed couple!

Some of these wedded soulmates {ha!} have been married only months, most have been married between 2-5 years and some have even hit the over-30-year window {ie: my parents, in-laws and grandparents!!!}. No matter how long ago they tied the knot, however, one thing is for certain: all the words you will read in this post are raw, real, and make for some damn good advice!

{sidenote: some of my friends and family decided to go the funny route, so I hope you can find the humor in a few of these, too!}

I Adore What I Love Blog // NEWLYWED MARRIAGE ADVICE FROM MY MARRIED FRIENDS // 16 // www.iadorewhatilove.com #iadorewhatilove

I Adore What I Love Blog // NEWLYWED MARRIAGE ADVICE FROM MY MARRIED FRIENDS // 17 // www.iadorewhatilove.com #iadorewhatilove

I mean, these are some SOLID marriage pointers if you ask me! Please pass this post along to your engaged or newly married friends – I bet they’d appreciate it!

And a BIG, HUGE, GINORMOUS shout-out to all my friends and family who so kindly contributed to this post! I love you all so much and can’t thank you enough for your honest words and willingness to help me out!

Newlywed Marriage #Advice from 17 Seasoned Couples! #iadorewhatilove #iadorewhatigive Click To Tweet

No matter if you’ve never been married or have been married 50 years, the truth is, everyone can benefit from marriage advice!
Which will you take to heart?

• Alyse April 13, 2016 at 7:34 am

Wonderful advice! Thanks to everyone who shared so honestly!

• Dana Ivy April 13, 2016 at 8:36 am

Couldn’t have said it better myself! Love you!

• Lily Ayala April 13, 2016 at 8:48 am

These are all amazing! We have been married for 5 years and I love hearing others advice!

• Dana Ivy April 13, 2016 at 10:05 am

So fun, right?! Thanks Lily!! Xox

• Biana Perez April 13, 2016 at 8:49 am

My husband and I do not have the same choice in TV shows lol! These were so fun…I definitely say I love like 100 times a day to my husband and yes I round down on prices too! LOL! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

• Dana Ivy April 13, 2016 at 10:05 am

Hahahahha glad you enjoyed reading! The rounding down on prices comment is my fave! My friend Lauren is hilarious! Xox

• Amanda April 13, 2016 at 9:01 am

Such a fun post, great advice! Love your blog <3

Amanda
    misslulupearlblog.blogspot.com

• Dana Ivy April 13, 2016 at 10:05 am

Glad you liked it! And thank you – so happy you found me! Going to check out yours now! Xox

• Dara April 13, 2016 at 10:39 am

As a bride-to-be, I love asking people for their ‘secret’ to a long and healthy marriage. This was so much fun to read!

– Dara // http://www.peoniesandhoneybees.com

• Dana Ivy April 13, 2016 at 10:47 am

Congrats on your upcoming wedding Dara! I’m so glad you can appreciate this post!! Xox

• Kate @ Green Fashionista April 13, 2016 at 10:44 am

So much amazing advice, I especially love the one about taking at least a year to travel travel travel before starting a family. I can’t express enough how much I’ve loved our first 6 years of marriage being about us, making our marriage stronger, and seeing the world <3

• Dana Ivy April 13, 2016 at 10:48 am

Yes! I completely agree with my sister-in-law on this one! If you’re fortunate to be able to do it, you should!!! Xox

• Jill April 13, 2016 at 10:52 am

Oh yeah.. 1 more…Make sure you’re not home when your husband is doing the bills 💙

• Dana Ivy April 13, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Bahahahah hilarious! Dually noted!

• Michele Paco April 13, 2016 at 11:02 am

Love this post! Particularly agree with not taking each other for granted and that the smallest things mean the most!

Ps: just found you blog and I’m loving it! :)

• Dana Ivy April 13, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Hey Michele! So glad you found my blog and enjoyed this post!!! Not taking each other for granted is the best piece of advice I could give someone! Hope you’re having a great Wednesday! Xox

• for seven seasons April 13, 2016 at 11:34 am

Wow, 7 weddings is SO MANY! That’s going to be a crazy time for you. It’s so great to hear this advice. A lot of similar things run through them!

• Dana Ivy April 13, 2016 at 4:01 pm

7!!! But I can’t complain because 2 years ago we had 12!!! Insane, right?! But weddings are always a good time, just harder now to go out of town with a baby! Happy you liked this post, girl! Xo

• Colleen K April 13, 2016 at 3:39 pm

That quote ‘Love is a verb’ – WOW I love that so much! I’m getting married this summer and really loved reading this post!

xoxo touchofcurl.com

• Dana Ivy April 13, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Omgosh! Congrats Colleen!! That’s so exciting! Glad you enjoyed reading this post! Xox

• Falasha April 13, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Great post! I love hearing others advice, I agree and live by all of these but my favorite is “round down by $50” haha

xx Falasha

Bite My Fashion ll Instagram ll Bloglovin’

• Dana Ivy April 13, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Hahaha my friend Lauren is one hilarious chic! Not gonna lie, she gave my favorite advice too! Glad you found my blog!! Xox

• Jalisa April 13, 2016 at 6:25 pm

I loved this post so much, Dana, that I had to pin it to my quotes to live by board! All of the advice given was indeed raw and I could relate to many, I’ve been married for 7 years now; I got married at 20! I think that’s pretty cool that both your mom and your mother-in-law have been married for the same amount of years! Your mom and grandma’s advice had me laughing, it’s so funny how they both said that the woman is always right, which is absolutely true, “happy wife, happy life!” I can’t believe you’ll be attending 7 weddings, wow! I remember when I had 3 weddings within a month’s time and felt so overwhelmed, but who doesn’t love and look forward to a wedding?! They can really be so much fun! Thanks so much for sharing, beauty, and I hope you’re having the best week so far!

• Dana Ivy April 13, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Jalisa, seriously girl, your comments make my day, everyday! First of all, thank you for pinning! Love you for that and so happy to hear that this post resinated with you! You are wise beyond your years for getting married at 20! And becoming a step-mom right?! And yes! My parents and my inlaws were actually married the same year exactly one week apart. Pretty wild! My mom and grandma are both hilarious and so similar so it didn’t surprise me at all that their advice was so similar! And yes!!! 7 weddings! 8 including the one from last weekend… but 2 years ago we had 12 in one summer so this is better than that! Just a little more difficult now that we have a baby in the mix! Hope you’ve been having the best week! Almost Friyay!!! Xoxox

• Natalie April 13, 2016 at 6:32 pm

What great post, Dana! I loved reading everyone’s advice. I’m going to be married 5 years in about 3 weeks :) My advice, and one that I still to do this day, is going out of your way to do stuff for your spouse. Putting the dishes away, making them breakfast before they head off to work. Little things like that help to reaffirm that you care. Thanks for sharing this!

Natalie

• Dana Ivy April 13, 2016 at 10:36 pm

Thanks, Natalie!! Happy almost Anniversary! Doing anything special? I love your advice so much!! It really is the little things that make the most impact in a marriage! Xoxo

• Natalie April 15, 2016 at 9:26 am

Nothing planned yet, but I’m sure we’ll figure something out! Even if it’s just going out for dinner it’ll be special :)

• Dana Ivy April 15, 2016 at 10:01 am

Absolutely! Enjoy!! Xox

• Nina April 14, 2016 at 1:56 pm

This was interesting post to read, and some great advices.
    Nina

• Dana Ivy April 19, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, Nina!! Xox

• Jamie April 14, 2016 at 6:13 pm

loved this.. some of them were so funny and cute! xo
    Jamie

• Dana Ivy April 19, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Thanks Jamie! I have funny friends and fam, what can I say?! Xox

• Charity April 15, 2016 at 5:44 am

Cute post! I can’t believe you have 7 weddings to attend ;) Looks like you have some dress shopping coming your way in the near future.

• Dana Ivy April 19, 2016 at 10:50 pm

Yes!! 7 weddings, Charity!! {not including the one we just went to!} Insanity! But who can complain about dress shopping?!?! Not me =) Xox

• Water Wanderer April 19, 2016 at 5:56 pm

Great blog, Dana. Great advice and good luck with all the weddings you are planning to attend. So much fun!!! I hope you have a great week ahead.

– Elise XO

• Dana Ivy April 19, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Thanks Elise!! You are so sweet! Glad you enjoyed reading and happy you found my blog! Hope you’ll be back! Enjoy your week as well, lady! Xox