Monthly Musts // May 2016

Monthly Musts is a series that showcases a few things for Chicagoans to do during the upcoming month, a few things that Chicago parents might want to do with their kiddos {#iadoremomlife}, and a few things ANYBODY should do… whether you live in Chicago, Alaska, Mexico or some place in between! Take a look!

I Adore What I Love Blog // MONTHLY MUSTS MAY 2016 // www.iadorewhatilove.com #iadorewhatilove

April showers bring May flowers, right?! Well, yesterday was the first day of May and it pretty much rained for 24 hours straight! Wah! BUT, I’m hoping that the dreary, wet days clear up in Chicago sooner than later. Fingers crossed, okay?! Truth be told, I really would rather not start out a post talking about the weather but when you live in the city, it really affects your my day! Let’s just say I’m hoping for more shorts {i wore them once in april}, patio lunching, heading to the park, and strolling with Brody all over the neighborhood! See what’s going on in MAY below!!!

MONTHLY MUSTS FOR CHICAGOANS:

1. The Lincoln Park Zoo is having an adults-only scavenger hunt right on the premises! Sounds interesting, right? Even better, at the end you get to drink beer and hang out. The top 3 teams who participate earn some pretty great prizes too! Happening Friday, May 6, click here for more info.

2. Randolph Street Market moves outside this month! Shoppers can find furnishings, vintage clothing, jewelry, collectibles, and more. Admission is $8 per person {children under 12 get in free} and it takes place May 28-29! This particular weekend they are having a garden show, too. Fun!

3. Partake in Bike the Drive on Sunday morning, May 9th!!! Put on by MB Financial, grab your friends and sign up for this awesome event. You literally take a bike ride on Lake Short Drive!! According to the website you can “see a sunrise over Lake Michigan, hear the birds chirp and enjoy the views of Chicago’s skyline as you experience the best of the city by bike.” SO COOL! Buy your tickets here.

MONTHLY MUSTS FOR CHICAGO FAMILIES:

1. Head to the Kids and Kites Festival next Saturday, May 7th in Lincoln Park with the whole fam! It starts at 10 am and ends at 4 pm and there’s a Big Kite Candy Drop, which is a piñata-like kite filled with candies that drop from the sky!!! OMG!! Details on the event here.

2. Cinco De Mayo Family Jump Time at Pump It Up is where it’s at on May 5th! It’s only $5 per person from 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM. It’s sure to be a BLAST!

3. I’ve talked about it before but every week we take swim lessons at Goldfish in Roscoe Village and we are OBSESSED! Did you know they have Family Swim Nights on Saturdays from 6:30 – 8:00. Free for members, non-members pay $5 per person/$15 per family max. You MUST reserve your spot by emailing swimroscoevillage@goldfishss.com. More info here.

MONTHLY MUSTS FOR ANYONE IN THE WORLD:

1. Happy almost Cinco de Mayo! Obviouslyyyy I’m going to tell you to go to your local Mexican resto on May 5th, order a marg, and eat chips and guac. DUH!

2. The Kentucky Derby is on Saturday, May 6th so my advice is to throw a KD party! Make sure your friends know that they MUST dress up in their most lovely southern attire, big hats and all, ya’ll ;)

3. Mother’s Day is this coming Sunday, May 8th and hey, it’s not easy being a mom which is why yours needs some TLC this year! Check out my Mother’s Day gift guide, present her with something she’ll love, and then take her to her fave Sunday brunch spot! What a special time!

4. Chelsea Handler is back on Netflix but this time, she’s hosting a 30-minute talk-show with no commercials, airing every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday beginning May 11th. Netflix hasn’t really provided it’s audience with much other info than that but we do know that is *might* include Chelsea traveling around the globe and the title of the show is called “Chelsea”… either way, I will be watching! Love me some Chelsea Handler!

5. May would not be right without celebrating Memorial Day! Gather all your friends and family and have a BBQ in your backyard. Think burgers, hotdogs, grilled chicken, potato salad, cole slaw, jello, good company and a great grill! That’s pretty much all you need to have a blast on this memorable holiday!

6. This must is one that I am personally SUPER excited for! You know I love TV but what you probably don’t know is that some of my favorite shows air in the summer. Mistresses is back on May 30th and yep, you guessed it: my DVR is already set. Does anyone remember how the show ended last season?? SO MANY QUESTIONS TO BE ANSWERED! Can’t wait for premiere night!!

You should do THESE things this #MAY! Read for more info NOW! #chicago #iadorewhatilove Click To Tweet

Ummm, is it just me or does it feel like there’s SO much to do in May and so little time?! I have a hunch that this month is going to be one for the books! Also exciting: the school that I formally worked at ends May 24th which means Brods and I will be able to hang with my teacher friends all the time thereafter. Woohoo!

Have anything fun on the books during the month of May?
I want to hear about it!!

• Courtney May 2, 2016 at 7:08 am

I’m a huge fan of Chelsea Handler too! I loved her documentary series on Netflix and so I’m really looking forward to her talkshow!

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 9:40 am

Me too! I watched each episode of her docuseries and each one was more interesting {and funny} than the next! Can’t wait for this show… it seems a little mysterious too which makes it more exciting!! Xox

• Shauna C May 2, 2016 at 8:21 am

I agree, there is so much to do this month..plus it’s my birthday month, so extra yay!! :) All of these ideas sound super fun! Have a great day!

Shauna

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 9:42 am

Happy birthday month girl! Woohoo! You should probably start celebrating today because birthdays really should be 30 days! Ha! Hope you had a great weekend and happy Monday! Xx

• Dara May 2, 2016 at 8:48 am

It’s been raining nonstop in DC too (boo!) I love this round up, even though I’m not in Chi, but I’m super excited about the Chelsea Handler talk-show! I’ll have to check that out, I had no idea, so I’m really glad you shared!

– Dara // http://www.peoniesandhoneybees.com

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 9:44 am

So glad you love this round-up, Dara! Makes me so happy! So excited for more Chelsea in my life! She cracks me up every time! Xox

• WhatWouldVWear May 2, 2016 at 9:13 am

Such a great post, Dana! I love taking my son to Lincoln Park Zoo during the warmer months! We both love the zoo, and in fact, my son was just asking me the other day when I would take him again! Hopefully this weather stays nice now! This past weekend was awful! SO much rain!

Happy Monday, love!

xoxo, Vanessa

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 9:46 am

Blah! I know! So over the rain! It’s sunny today which I’ll take =) And it’s supposed to be a warmer weekend coming up so that’s good. LPZoo is the best! Can’t wait to take Brods there again… now that he’s a toddler I think he’ll be more into it! Happy Monday to you! Xox

• Lily Ayala May 2, 2016 at 9:53 am

The adult only scavenger hunt sounds like fun!!! I’ve heard Misstresses is a good show…is it on Netflix so I can catch up? LOL!

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Right?! I think that sounds like so much fun too. It’s different! And ummm, Lily, you NEED to start watching Mistresses… SO SO good! Not sure if it’s on Netflix though! Xox

• thefashionfolks May 2, 2016 at 10:22 am

Lovely post, definitely nachos and guac on Cinco de Mayo! Xx

• Kate @ Green Fashionista May 2, 2016 at 10:48 am

I can’t believe it’s already May and it’s time for the Derby and Cinco de Mayo – 2 super fun events <3

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Couldn’t agree more!! All so fun!! Xox

• Biana Perez May 2, 2016 at 11:28 am

This makes me want to visit Chicago asap!! I plan on having some baked tacos on Thursday and I can’t wait!! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Yes!! Visit us, Biana!! Chi is the best especially when the weather is warm and everyone is outside ALL THE TIME! And mmm baked tacos sound YUM! Xox

• Michelle LaPorte May 2, 2016 at 11:55 am

I don’t live in Chicago but I love your ideas! I wish I could get to the Kite Festival!

Michelle || http://www.byquinn.com

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 10:22 pm

So happy you found my blog, Michelle! I think I’m going to the Kite Festival because how could I not? I will take you with in spirit! Ha! Hope you had a great Monday and will come back to read more! Xox

• for seven seasons May 2, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Oh I forgot about the Derby! Great reminder. I love watching that!

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Glad I could reminder you girl! Xo

• Tamara May 2, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Gotta love May! I’m so excited for the warmer weather!

XoXo,

Tamara – LoveofMode.com

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Yes yes yes! Bring us the warm weather! Xox

• Jalisa May 2, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Yet another great post, Dana! You’re such a great source for Chicagoans, you know all the fun spots and fab places to go! Haha, you had me laughing aloud when reading the first suggestion on cinco de mayo, haha, you’re just too cute! I definitely look forward to Memorial Day weekend, I love me some BBQ, yum! Thanks so much for sharing, beautiful, and I hope you have the most amazing start to your May!

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 10:27 pm

You seriously know how to make a girl feel great, Jalisa! To hear that you think I’m a great source for Chicagoans warms my heart! I try! Ha. Am I right about the chips and guac?! LOL. BBQing on Memorial Day the best! Especially when the weather is nice! Hope you have a wonderful start to May as well!! And hope you had a happy Monday! Xox

• Julia May 2, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Great ideas! I especially love the Kentucky Derby party. My sister recently moved to Lexington, KY where it is held and am so sad I’m not making it over there for all the festivities! Seems like so much fun but a party is the best way to replicate it. Are you throwing one? You should definitely post some pics if you do. You could have so much fun with that theme!

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 10:30 pm

So awesome that your sister moved to Kentucky but bummer you cant go in for the derby. Next year!! Def have a party! We’ve actually been invited to more than one KD party this year so we won’t be throwing one! We’ll have to work around B’s naps and go to both but it will be fun! I’m usually not a theme person but this theme is one I can get into! Hope you had a great Monday, Julia!! Xox

• Nina May 2, 2016 at 7:14 pm

This is such a great post.
    Nina

• Nidhi May 2, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Ah it’s literally hailing outside right now, so I’m craving sunshine as much as you! Great list of May themed things here; I keep forgetting that with Mother’s Day, Cinco de Mayo, The Kentucky Derby and Memorial Day are all coming up so soon. More reason to celebrate!! So excited to grill out, lay out and chill! Have a great week!
    An Unblurred Lady

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Stupid weather :( Rain rain go away! Or in your case, hail hail go away, and don’t come back another day! Hahaha. There really is so much to celebrate and have fun with this month! Enjoy it!! Hope you had a great Monday! Xox

• kelsey bang May 2, 2016 at 9:00 pm

how fun! that scavenger hunt sounds so awesome!

kelseybang.com

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 10:32 pm

I agree! I am into that! Thanks for stopping by the blog, girl! I hope you’ll be back to read more! Xo

• Elizabeth aka Ela May 2, 2016 at 10:55 pm

This is such a great round up of things to do! Our weather here in BC is very unpredictable. One week it’s super hot and the next week it’s pouring rain lol. It get’s quite annoying to dress for. I definitely feel like so little time for everything, yet the time literally just flys by so quickly. I can’t believe it’s already May and find myself saying that quite a bit.

• Dana Ivy May 2, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Ugh, I hear ya, Elizabeth. What’s up with that?!? To everything you said! Ha! Hope you had a great Monday and so happy you enjoyed reading this post! Xox

• katelyn ryan May 3, 2016 at 10:37 am

I may need to drive up to Chicago for that scavenger hunt… it sounds like so much fun!!

• Dana Ivy May 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Drive up!! Would make for some great pics on your blog!! Xox

• katelyn ryan May 4, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Haha! That reminds me that I still haven’t posted photos from our last trip to Chicago over New Years!

• Dana Ivy May 4, 2016 at 7:13 pm

You must!!!!! Never too late girl! Xox

• ≈ CARMEN ≈ May 3, 2016 at 12:38 pm

On Cinco de Mayo, I’ll go to my boyfriend’s house so he can make me some tasty authentic guac. Hehe. :]

// ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

• Dana Ivy May 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Oooo lucky duck! Enjoy lady! Xo

• Leah Schulz May 3, 2016 at 3:02 pm

I have distant family in Chicago, but I’ve only visited once. This post makes me want to go back. How fun!

• Dana Ivy May 3, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Chicago is the best! You must come back soon, Leah!! Because once in a lifetime is not enough ;) Xox

• Katie Mitchell May 3, 2016 at 4:42 pm

What a great series. Chicago is a great city!! I will be traveling there soon!! I am so glad you found me blog this weekend, which now has led me to yours!! Love it!! Thanks!! Hope your week has been fabulous!!

• Dana Ivy May 3, 2016 at 9:41 pm

So glad you like this post, Katie!! And thanks for coming to check out my blog!! So awesome that you have an upcoming Chitown trip planned! You’ll have the best time!! Happy almost Friday… kinda, not really, hahaha ;) Xox

• Cielo Fronteras May 3, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Great list! Would love to visit Chicago! =)

– Cielo

Mermaid in Heels

• Dana Ivy May 3, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Ooo you have to find some time to come! Doesn’t get better than the spring and summer in the chi! Thanks for visiting the blog and hope you’ll be back for more! Xox

• Natalie May 3, 2016 at 10:45 pm

What a fun list! Definitely going to make some chips and guac this Thursday. And I still don’t know what to get my mom for Mother’s Day so I will have to check out your list!

Natalie
    thecityandsea.com

• Dana Ivy May 4, 2016 at 8:59 am

Chips & Guac! Heck yeah! {wouldn’t be cinco de mayo with it!} Definitely check out my mother’s day gift guide! It’s so good!! Xox